Scope of Role
- Royal Business Park, Oakleigh
- 19 new commercial warehouse units and heritage building renovations
- Sale value: in excess of $14m
- Completion August 2017
- Initially, JV partner. Financial feasibility. Full project management including multiple planning permit acquisitions and management of subdivision and construction phases. Project financial management and reporting including monthly P&L update, cash flow forecasting and supplier payment control.
Value added by 7c
- Precast concrete, single-storey and 2-storey designs, demanding a fine balance to be struck between maximising development yield, whilst accommodating a strict SBO governing the management of flood water falling flowing through the site. Development of the site demanded solutions to many other challenges also, including constant viability pressure, strict on-site parking quotas, heritage building preservation, extensive structural civil engineering and an existing electrical substation building to accommodate.
- The development was, in many ways, more complex than a development tenfold bigger in terms of land area and yield. 7c was directly responsible for many innovations, including:
- $170k-$470k of sales protected – Overcoming rejection by local authority of town planning application on the grounds of inadequate on-site parking. 7c proposed the idea of shifting the whole of the development, east of the common road, west, sacrificing some of the common road, to create significant additional on-site parking, with no loss of saleable floor area.
- $500k + saved – Re-establishing the fundamental viability of the development following an initial tender for civil engineering exceeding budget by $0.5m. 7c proposed and managed the value-engineering, and redesign, of the storm water retarding engineering solution. This resulted in a reduction of more than $0.5m at re-tender, returning the development to viability.
- $30k-$50k saved – Proposing and documenting a realistic heritage site management plan that achieved two ends; it met Council’s approval but removed, for the developer, expensive ‘ideal’ solutions in favour of lower cost, practical, adequate solutions.
- $35k + protected – Working with Council to achieve acceptable mechanisms to ensure that land subdivisions, and built-form Titles, were not unduly encumbered by red tape and legal expense at statement of compliance.
- $30k (minimum) saved – Tracking and validating against fee or contract agreements, on behalf of the developer, claims submitted by consultants and contractors.
- “Jamie has sound experience in a wide range of property development with special attributes in the project management area. Jamie is highly intelligent, thorough in his control of projects, is held in high esteem by his fellow professionals and is a pleasure to work with. I have no reservations in recommending Jamie and Seven Child as project manager or development manager in the property industry.”